On April 26, 1315, the first Parliament of Scotland was held in Ayr by Robert The Bruce at St.John's Tower by the sea. It was once known as 'Inverair/Inverayr' and this usage is still retained in the Scottish Gaelic form of the name Inbhir Air.
Later, during Cromwellian times, the town was used as a base and fortress for some of his men. Cromwell built a huge wall around certain areas of the town, most of which can still be seen today. St John's Tower was originally part of a massive church, but the church was knocked down, and the tower used to practise on; it is now protected by the "Friends Of Saint Johns Tower" (FROST) residents of the nearby "Fort Area". (Improve this description or add photos)
26th Mar 2017
Concert featuring Laura Wilson as soloist in trumpet concerto by Arutiunian. Programme also includes Symphony No 4 by Brahms and Tchaikovsky's Capriccio Italien. read more
19th May 2017
One of the most successful acts in the world, The Dreamboys attract millions of fans, who consistently sell out shows all over the UK.
All professionally trained dancers, the group features Lotan... read more